Am I at risk of prediabetes and type 2 diabetes?
You are at increased risk for developing prediabetes and type 2 diabetes if you:
- Are 45 years of age or older;
- Are overweight;
- Have a family history of type 2 diabetes;
- Are physically active fewer than three times per week; or
- Ever had diabetes while pregnant (gestational diabetes) or gave birth to a baby that weighed more than 9 pounds.
Fit & Well, MD can help! In considering enrolling in the lifestyle change program, you are taking first steps to making the lifestyle changes to better your health.
Click here to take a prediabetes risk test.
If you are at risk, you’ll want to make some healthy changes, and our CDC-recognized diabetes prevention lifestyle change program is here to help you.
A Type 2 Diabetes Prevention Program – that works
Over 84 million Americans – or 1 out of 3 adults – have prediabetes. And of those 84 million, 9 out of 10 of them don’t even know they have it, because there often aren’t symptoms. Could this be you?
The National Diabetes Prevention Program is a CDC-recognized lifestyle change program, hosted by Fit & Well, MD, and is proven to work. Making moderate healthy lifestyle changes can help people with prediabetes cut their risk of developing type 2 diabetes in half.
Our office is conveniently located in Spring, Texas, serving Tomball, The Woodlands, and Northwest Houston, Texas areas.
How do you qualify?
You may qualify for this program if you are 18 years or older, have a body mass index of 25 or higher (23 or higher, if of Asian descent), can commit to attending most of the meetings, and meet one or more of the following criteria:
- Have been diagnosed with pre-diabetes
- Have had diabetes while pregnant (gestational diabetes)
- Have had a blood test result in the pre-diabetes range within the past year
If you have ever been diagnosed with type 1 or type 2 diabetes, or end stage kidney disease, you will not qualify for this program. Please talk to your doctor about other options for care.
What is the format of the National Diabetes Prevention Program?
The National Diabetes Prevention Program hosted by Fit & Well, MD is a one-year, research-based program offering support for people working to improve their health and lower their risk for diabetes.Our lifestyle change program features:
- Trained lifestyle coaches
- CDC-approved curriculum
- Group Support (including meetings (in person or remote (through Zoom)), Private Facebook Group)
- Year-long program – Meeting weekly for the first 2 months, followed by meeting biweekly (2 times per month) for the months 3-6, then monthly for months 7-12
- Our trained coaches lead all of our small group meetings to teach how to make lifestyle changes like eating healthier, reducing stress, and getting more physical activity.
- Remote patient monitoring (using Wi-Fi enabled weight scale and lifestyle tracking ap)
- Body composition analysis (at start and after 6th month)
The program is focused on helping you make long-term changes for lasting results. A year might sound like a long commitment, but learning and maintaining new habits and skills, and building confidence takes time. The program is led by our trained lifestyle coaches to help you learn new skills, encourage you to set and meet goals, and keep you motivated. You also get amazing support from your fellow peers which adds to the incredible success seen with this program!
During each session, which is based on a CDC-approved curriculum, your lifestyle coach will engage the group to see how things are going, introduce the session’s key topics, and guide a group discussion.
You will leave the session with suggestions from the lifestyle coach about things to try at home.
TOPICS MAY INCLUDE:
- Shopping and cooking to prevent type 2 diabetes
- Eating well away from home
- When weight loss stalls
- Managing stress
- Find time for fitness
Cost / Insurance Coverage
A referral from your primary care provider is not required. Coverage for these services varies by insurance carrier, with the program being covered in full by Medicare and some Medicare Advantage Plans.
The cost of the program is $85/month for months 1-6, then $25/month for months 7-12.